Instructions and Checklist
2019-2020 California Student Tobacco Survey (CSTS)
Instructions for Teachers and Proctors
Step 1. Watch the Training Video
- This video will provide you with an overview of the background and steps needed to successfully administer the CSTS with your students
- You may watch this brief video individually or in a group
- If you are unable to access the video, let us know and we will send you the video file.
Step 2. Familiarize Yourself with the Survey
Once you have watched the training video, please familiarize yourself with the survey via this Preview Link
- Note: Survey skip patterns are used to minimize the number of questions asked of participants (students will not be asked questions that do not pertain to their experiences).
Step 3. Send Home Parental Consent Forms
Send home Parental Consent Forms with students at least 1 week before the survey.
- If you need additional forms, please email email@example.com
- Note: If your school’s designated CSTS Survey Coordinator already sent Parental Consent Forms home with students, you may skip this step.
Step 4. Verify Your Survey Dates with the CSTS Survey Coordinator
Check in with your CSTS Survey Coordinator to make sure you are on the same page about what date(s) you will be administering the survey.
Step 5. Receive the Student Survey Link
Your designated CSTS Survey Coordinator will send you your school’s unique student survey link 1 week before the survey start date.
- It is critical that ONLY STUDENTS use this link (teachers/proctors should use the preview link to familiarize themselves with the online survey)
Step 6. Collect Signed Parental Consent Forms
Parental Consent Forms should be collected before students take the survey.
- Based on the consent protocol for your school (passive vs. active), you will determine which students are eligible to participate
- The type of consent protocol will be indicated on the top right corner of the consent form.
- For passive consent forms, students who return signed parental consent forms are opted out of the survey. All other students are eligible to participate.
- For active consent forms, only students who return signed parental consent forms that provide permission to participate are eligible to participate.
- Students who are not eligible to participate should work on a pre-assigned, quiet activity while the rest of the students take the survey.
Step 7. Proctor the Survey
a. Provide students with your school’s unique survey link (i.e., write the link on the whiteboard).
- Students should enter the link exactly as it is written
- Students should *not* Google the link
b. Read aloud the Oral Assent Script.
Provide students with information about the survey by reading aloud the Oral Assent Script, found here.
c. The first page of the survey includes an assent page. Students will read about the survey and can agree or decline to participate.
- Note: Should they wish to decline, it is best if they do so within the survey itself (have them click “No” on the first question).
d. After students are asked to verify their school, they will be asked to provide information about the class section in which they are taking the survey. All students from a given section should enter the SAME information. Provide them with the following (i.e., write on the whiteboard):
- The period # (0-8) for the class section
- The teacher’s name for the class section
Note: Students who are absent do not have to make up the survey.
Step 8. Submit Online Participation Logs
To monitor your school’s participation in the survey, it is very important that you submit 1 Participation Log for each class section you surveyed.
Information collected will include the following information about the class section surveyed:
- The survey date
- The # of students enrolled
- The # of students absent
- The # of students returning signed parental consent forms
- Other important information
It will also document your agreement with the procedures for maintaining confidentiality.
Incomplete or missing Participation Logs will results in additional legwork for you, us, and the CSTS Survey Coordinator at your school. We appreciate your complete and timely submission of these Logs!
Step 9. Return Signed Parental Consent Forms
Return any signed Parental Consent Forms to your CSTS Survey Coordinator in the envelope(s) provided to you.
- Consent Forms from different class sections should be kept separate (in different envelopes).